When I'm trying to find out what different authors in the typological literature mean by "dominant order", "pragmatically unmarked order", "frequent order" and just plain "order" with no specifications, and also how these relate to each other.

 When I'm trying to find out what different authors in the typological literature mean by
  • "dominant order" 
  • "pragmatically unmarked order" 
  • "most frequent order" 
  • plain "order" with no specifications
 and also how these relate to each other.

Yes, I understand the value of each of these different phrasings and I do believe I understand what the authors meant.. but it wouldn't hurt to be a little more explicit at times.. if for no-one else, then for us poor humans reading grammars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Global Tree of Languages

Language family maps

My ELAN workflow for segmenting and transcription